Thursday, March 1, 2012

Be the Miracle

So two days ago I received a package from a member of the church I grew up in. It was a book and inside the book was a lovely card from the women's fellowship group. The card explained that the women's fellowship had purchased a copy of the book Be the Miracle 50 Life Lessons on Making the Impossible Possible for the church library and had purchased and sent me a copy. The card was placed in a certain section of the book. Let me back up. The author of the book Regina Brett was a journalist for the Akron Beacon Journal when I first encountered her. She was interviewing my mom days before she passed away. I remember that she wrote an article about my mom in the Akron Beacon Journal. She now writes for The Plain Dealer. She is a motivational speaker, surviving breast cancer and has authored now two books. I opened the book to where the card was placed. My mom Jo Ann Hollis was lesson number 5. I made it through the first page and then broke down crying. Sadie came up to me and so I put the book down, got Sadie dressed for swim lessons waited for Jeremy to leave with Sadie for swim lessons before I opened it back up. I can't express what a gift it was to receive this book, what a gift it was that Regina captured memories in the last few days of my mom's life and I along with others can experience it. I closed the book and called my dad. I read him some of it. I found online her schedule of book signings and plan on attending one in April with my dad when he gets into town. I want to say thank you. And make sure I have a signed copy for Sadie.


My favorite passage from the book is the following:

"Once her hazel eyes caught mine, they wouldn't let go. When I interviewed her, she was bedridden, her bald head wrapped in a lovely silk scarf. She beckoned me to come closer so she could look into my eyes as we talked. She exuded a warmth I'd never felt from anyone before or since. It was as if her whole body radiated a light that you couldn't see but you could feel. I felt like I was in the presence of pure love and grace".

Here is Regina's website

http://www.reginabrett.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment